Sunday, November 13, 2011

Super Sunday!

Well I thought I would have had this posted sooner, but it took a lot longer than I thought to make the Digging for Divison game. To "piggy back" off my guest blogger about math centers, I will share a little bit about how I am doing things this year. Guided Math is new to me this year, and even more scary...new to me this month (due to changing schools). Therefore I am still open to any suggestions, ideas, etc.  To refresh your memory, here are a few pictures of my Guided Math "centers"/rotation "stuff"


In the pocket chart I have 10 different math skill lessons/worksheets/practice games etc. My pockets are in place of tubs most teachers use for Guided Math.  I'll need to update this picture soon, because I ended up buying yet another set of drawers where I have put my math literature and math games (these are games that don't change...RIO, Salute, Math Memory, etc.)


I use the "pizza pans" to control groups. In the clear pockets are the numbers that match a pocket containing skill lessons they must complete throughout the week. This way I can rearrange groups AND pockets.

I ended up making a checklist for the students (very similar to one I found for Guided Reading). This way we have consistancy between the two, same procedures, and same expectations. I LOVE that they have the checklist, it makes them more accountable for their choices and decisions. I do allow my students to make their own choices, however if I feel they are not making good choices, or can't handle making appropriate ones then I can and will step in at any time, especially when they are starting to lose sight of the reason for Guided Math (can you tell this happened this week).

So I thought I would share my checklist with you, hope you enjoy (click to get it!):


This check sheet was modeled after Christina Bainbridge's of Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge Daily 5 Reading Checklist, and can be found here

I have also added a fun new division skill practice packet to my TPT account as well as a FREE Mimio (properties of multiplication) for those of you wanting to try it (you can download it through google docs, sorry there is no image due to it being a Mimio document)! Please leave me comments/feedback on anything you see here or on my TPT page. I hope you find it all useful and helpful. Have a wonderful evening and week before Thanksgiving!