Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Bookcases...

Yep once again I am on vacation. Don't be jealous. I am usually the one who stays at home every summer, and goes NO WHERE. Seriously. But we planned a trip to California, and started saving over two years ago. Then I actually get the chance to go on my family vacation to the beach, a tradition that we have had for 30 years! I haven't been able to go due to scheduling conflicts and such. So here I sit on a rainy evening...at the beach. I would be out on the porch but the mesquetos are horrible tonight!

Now on to my post...my bookcases







I can tell it's summer and a lot of you are thinking about the set up of your next year's classroom. I have been getting a lot of questions about my bookshelves so I thought I would give you all some information.

First, the actual bookshelves. They are good ole' Wal-Mart Mainstay brand bookshelves. They usually have two removable shelves, but to book my bookboxes on them, I have to take one shelf off.

What I keep on them...mainly their bookboxes. They are magazine boxes, I get mine at Ikea. They are the least expensive there, or from what I have found. I type and print off a binder side cover then tape it on to the box, with clear packing tape. You can also tape the bottom, especially for those kids who are always rough on things. Inside their bookboxes I usually have their Reader's Workshop items: response journal, post-its, 2 books on their reading level, 2 library books, and 1 fun book. Sometimes there will be an activity we may be working on in small/whole group. I use the bookboxes for them to be able to travel with what they need for Reader's Workshop...to a center, reading on their own, small group, or even with a support teacher.

The last few items are pretty self explanitory: Dictionary, crayon/pencil box (I again buy these at Wal-Mart, usually no more than .50 cents each. I print a name label for each student and again tape it on the box. The trash cans usually don't go there, but we needed room.

On top of the shelves are my caddies. They have glue sticks for each student at that group/table, hand sanitizer, and scissors for each student located at that group/table.

The binders that are in the first two pictures are usually kept in their desks or bookbags, they take them home nightly. I buy these through our county with some of my supply money. Each student gets an agenda from the school, this is in their binder...along with extra paper for homework, sheet protectors that might contain a center check list and/or weekly homework. They can also put their spiral notebooks in the binders that they might have homework in (for that night).

I hope this helps as you are thinking about how to set up your classroom this upcoming year! Oh a little tip about the bookshelves: the backerboard can come out especially if you move your classroom around or have those students that love to lean on, kick, etc. your shelves...my old custodian told me that the best thing ever was to staple gun the backer board into the bookshelf!!!! Yep that simple, she said this makes them last twice as long...it's true!